Bengkung belly binding is the art of wrapping a postpartum women’s belly for physical support and to help hasten the recovery process after childbirth and is known to help heal diastasis recti in postpartum mom’s with the constant supportive pressure on the abdomen area.
This belly binding technique uses a long strip of cloth to wrap around around the abdomen from the hips to the ribcage.
The Bengkung belly binding technique is rooted in Malaysian culture however various countries and cultures around the world use a form of belly binding to help support the healing process.
Benefits of Belly Binding
- Provides postural support for the torso and organs as they return to pre-pregnancy position
- Supports and assists abdominal wall healing and diastasis recti recovery
- Supports the body’s natural spine and posture realignment post birth
- Constant pressure on the torso and abdomen hastens healing by reducing water, fat and air in the tissue and cells
- Stabilizes loose ligaments
- Helps to prevent and relieve lower back aches and strains
- Prevents slouching while feeding or holding your child
For Best Results
Women should be wrapped as soon they can after birth, ideally on day within day three to five postpartum. The belly bind should be worn daily for 10-12 hours a day for at least 40 days or longer. Often women who use a belly bind after birth return to their own pre-pregnancy size in 6-8 weeks.After a cesarean birth women should wait at least 6 weeks until the incision is mostly healed before they are wrapped.
Belly Binding Session
- Belly Bind Application
- Belly Binding instruction to teach you how to bind yourself daily at home. A friend or family member is welcome to learn so they can wrap you at home