In my 30’s, almost every year from Thanksgiving until the end of the year, I would get a few bouts of laryngitis. I now believe aside from allowing my immune system to suffer due to lack of self care and over doing it, my body was preventing me from saying “yes” to one more favor or commitment to someone else!
Many aspects of my life have changed, especially in the past 5 years. They are largely in part, the positive outcome of making dietary intake changes which in turn rendered my immune system to be stronger and I was physically able to enjoy Holidays more. I learned to accept help from others and I was better at not over committing. I learned to simplify things. I changed my perspective 🙂
Simplify. Simplify. Simplify. Easy to say, but an almost impossible task when facing the holiday season. So many things to accomplish and never enough time to accomplish them. I happen to love the holiday season, decorating, baking, cooking, finding the “perfect” present for my loved ones. I used to spend ridiculous amounts of time at the mall, fighting the traffic, the long lines, my fellow exhausted shoppers looking for the best deals. I am proud to say that I have not stepped foot in a mall in the past five years for holiday shopping. I no longer exhaust myself trying to “do it all”. Over the years I have managed to get more organized and developed my own system for keeping the holiday stress at bay. I take the scouting motto of “Be Prepared” very seriously. I make a very detailed list of what needs to be accomplished and what needs to be purchased in order to accomplish it all. There are so many tools to help make your holiday season happy and bright and give you time to enjoy your loved ones. Life doesn’t always work out how you planned, and it takes courage to pick yourself up and make it into something you can enjoy.
Ingredients (makes 1 cookie sheet full)
- 4 ounces of saltine crackers
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 cup of dark brown sugar
- 2 cups of chocolate chips
- 3/4 cups of chopped nuts (optional) or your choice of topping (crushed candy, sprinkles, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Line cookie sheet with saltine crackers in single layer.
- In a saucepan combine the sugar and the butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Immediately pour over saltines and spread t cover crackers completely.
- Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Let sit for 5 minutes. Spread melted chocolate and top with your topping choice. Cool completely and break into pieces.